Mooseheads Top Eagles In Halifax
NOTES FROM THE GAME
– Two second period goals by Markus Vidicek, set up by Jordan Dumais, led the Halifax Mooseheads to a 4-1 victory over the Cape Breton Eagles Saturday night in Halifax.
– Cam Squires scored the lone Eagles tally.
– Mathis Rousseau stopped 23 of 24 shots in the win for Halifax, while Nicolas Ruccia stopped 19 of 23 in the loss for the Eagles.
Both teams had trouble generating opportunities in the opening period with the shots being just 7-7 after the first frame, although the best chance may have come when Zachary L’Heureux hit the post on a breakway.
The second period belonged to Vidicek & Dumais. Vidicek’s first goal came after a pass from Dumais behind the net, and his second goal was on another nice feed that saw Dumais pass diagonally to Vidicek finished on an angle.
The Mooseheads held on to their shutout bid past the halfway mark of the third period when some sustained pressure finished with Cam Squires snapping a shot by Rousseau to get the Eagles on the board. In the final five minutes, both teams had plenty of open ice to work with a two minute four and four- but it was Halifax that found an insurance goal as L’Heureux snuck it through the legs of Ruccia to conclude the scoring for the night.
The Eagles will continue their road swing tomorrow afternoon in Moncton against the Wildcats- puck drop is at 4 PM. The game is available for purchase online at https://bit.ly/3jbh1tF You can also hear all the action beginning with the pre-game show with Patrick McNeil at 3:30 PM on 1270 AM CJCB or online at www.cjcbradio.com
THREE STARS OF THE GAME
1. Markus Vidicek (Halifax) 2 goals, 4 shots
2. Mathis Rousseau (Halifax) 23 saves on 24 shots
3. Cam Squires (Cape Breton) 1 goal, +1
Scratches For Cape Breton: Jude Campbell, Owen Arnold
Scratches For Halifax: Liam Welsh, Jake Todd, Jack Martin
Final Shots On Goal: 24-23 in favour of Halifax
Cape Breton Power Play: 0/2
Halifax Power Play: 0/4