NOTES FROM THE GAME
– Goals in the final three minutes from Eagles forwards Ivan Ivan (his second of the night) & Thomas Desruisseaux push the game to overtime.
– Islanders forwards Giovanni Morneau & Jakub Brabenec were the lone scorers in the shootout to give Charlottetown a 4-3 win. Morneau scored twice in regulation for the Isles.
– Trevor Thurston returned to the Eagles lineup after missing three games due to an upper body injury
– Charlottetown’s Francesco Lapenna stopped 31 of 34 shots in the win, Nicolas Ruccia turned aside 25 of 28 in the loss
Ivan opened the scoring before the game was four minutes old, but his work was undone by Morneau by period’s end. After scoring at even strength, Morneau scored just three seconds into a power play after a faceoff win from Jakub Brabenec. Following a save by Ruccia in the dying seconds as Jérémie Biakabutuka came out of the penalty box, the Eagles trailed 2-1 heading the second period.
Islanders captain Keiran Gallant was the only source of offense in a tight checking second period- the Charlottetown forward sent a puck off of Owen Arnold’s legs and it redirected by Ruccia to push the margin to 3-1.
Ivan’s second goal came at 17:10 of the third, a strong play to strip Brabenec of the puck and he then outwaited Lapenna to pull the Eagles within one. The goal was scored with the teams playing four on four. Just 51 seconds later, Desruisseaux ripped a shot through Lapenna to knot the game at 3.
Overtime was played at a brisk pace, with the Islanders outshooting the Eagles 5-2. The Eagles elected to shoot first in the shootout, but quickly fell behind when Samuel Johnson was denied and Morneau deked through the wickets of Ruccia. After Ivan was stopped, a nice backhand for Brabenec by Ruccia sent the Islanders home victorious.
The Eagles finish up their three game home stand on Wednesday against the Victoriaville Tigres- the only visit Victoriaville will make to Sydney this season! This is a game that was postponed due to Hurricane Fiona- season ticket holders are asked to use ticket #4. Additional tickets can be purchased at https://bit.ly/3ifwsQL. They are also available for purchase in person at the Centre 200 box office and by the phone during box office hours at 902-564-2200
THREE STARS OF THE GAME
1. Ivan Ivan (Cape Breton) 2 goals, 16/30 faceoffs
2. Giovanni Morneau (Charlottetown) 2 goals, shootout goal
3. Thomas Desruisseaux (Cape Breton) game tying goal, six shots
Scratches For Cape Breton: Luke Patterson (upper body injury), Oliver Satny (illness), Preston Pattengale, Gio DiMattia
Scratches For Charlottetown: Will Allen, Brett Arsenault, Raine Nadeau, Beren Simard-Sancy
Final Shots On Goal: 34-28 in favour of Cape Breton
Cape Breton Power Play: 1/3
Charlottetown Power Play: 0/4