NOTES FROM THE GAME
– Nashville first round draft pick Zachary L’Heureux returned from injury to the lineup for Halifax, scoring a goal and an assist in his first game of the season to lead the Mooseheads to a 6-2 victory
– The Eagles goals were scored by Xavier Daigle & Thomas Desruisseaux, while Ivan Ivan added two assists.
– Nicolas Ruccia was pulled after allowing five goals on 26 shots, while Oliver Satny stopped all 14 shots he faced in relief. (Halifax added an empty netter in the third period.) Mathis Rousseau stopped 33 of 35 shots in the win.
– Recalled forward Cameron Henderson played in his second straight game for the Eagles, as prior to the game the Eagles released forward Alex Campbell from the main roster.
– Markus Vidicek, Attilio Biasca, and Brody Fournier also each notched two points for Halifax.
-As part of the Reconciliation at the Rink event, the Eagles were special Eagle jerseys designed by Waycobah First Nation artist Loretta Gould, that were raffled off for those who purchased tickets.
After weathering the storm of some early Mooseheads chances, the home side struck first before the halfway mark of the opening period- Xavier Daigle using a clear shooting lane in the left faceoff circle to push the puck over Mathis Rousseau.
Halifax would cement a lead before period’s end though, with three goals in less than four minutes. After Evan Boucher knotted the score at 1, Markus Vidicek pushed a loose puck over the line to give the visitors the edge. Brody Fournier expanded the lead when he buried a drop pass in the slot from Logan Crosby.
L’Heureux made his first game of the season a good one, creating space all alone and flipping it over Nicolas Ruccia to make it 4-1 at the 12:16 mark of the middle stanza. Jake Furlong’s goal 53 seconds later spelled the end of the night for the Eagles netminder.
Desruisseaux gave the Eagles hope heading into the final period, scoring ten seconds before the buzzer. The Eagles pushed in the third period, outshooting Halifax 10-9, and coach Jon Goyens elected to lift Satny for an extra attacker with almost five minutes to play. However Stéphane Jr Huard hit the open net to finish the scoring and seal the win for Halifax.
The Eagles are back in action on Sunday afternoon at 3 PM against the Charlottetown Islanders. Tickets can be purchased at https://bit.ly/3AL7I9g. They are also available for purchase in person at the Centre 200 box office and by the phone during box office hours at 902-564-2200
THREE STARS OF THE GAME
1. Zachary L’Heureux (Halifax) 1 goal, 1 assist
2. Jake Furlong (Halifax) 1 goal, 7 shots
3. Xavier Daigle (Cape Breton) 1 goal
Scratches For Cape Breton: Luke Patterson (upper body injury), Trevor Thurston (upper body injury), Preston Pattengale, Gio DiMattia
Scratches For Halifax: Dylan MacKinnon (upper body injury), Jake Todd (lower body injury), Cameron Whynot (injury)
Final Shots On Goal: 41-35 in favour of Halifax
Cape Breton Power Play: 0/4
Halifax Power Play: 0/4