NOTES FROM THE GAME
– Eagles finish a three games in four days road trip with a 4-1 loss in Chicoutimi to the Sags
– Cape Breton’s Trevor Thruston did not play after suffering an injury on Friday night in Baie-Comeau.
– Affiliate Eagles player Liam Travis played his second game of the three game trip while fellow affiliate player Tristan Sanchez did not play after playing the prior two games
– Nicolas Ruccia stopped 40 of 43 shots in the loss, while Jacob Newcombe, Marc-André Gaudet, Vincent Fredette had two point nights in the Sags victory
While Chicoutimi outshot Cape Breton 20-8 in the opening period, the first frame finished scoreless. With the exception of a late two minute four on four situation, the entire period was played five on five. The visitors failed to capitalize on the first man advantage of the night which took place early in period two.
Félix Bédard opened the scoring at the 7:22 minute mark of the middle stanza, capitalizing on a loose puck at the side of the net and sending a stream of plush toys onto the ice for teddy bear toss night. The Eagles countered within four minutes, as Ivan Ivan finished a Conor Shortall pass to knot the game.
Before the end of the period, the Sags took a lead they wouldn’t relinquish as Maxim Massé skated up the right wing and ripped a shot over Ruccia. When the Sags took their first power play of the game in the third period, Andrei Loshko found the back of the net to extend the lead.
With the 3-1 score holding late in the game, Cape Breton’s Conor Shortall & Chicoutimi’s Emmanuel Vermette were sent off to create a four on four situation. Eagles coach Jon Goyens elected to lift his goaltender Ruccia to create a five on four situation but it was the home side who would score as Jacob Newcombe found the back of the empty net to make it 4-1.
Charles-Antoine Lavallée picked up the win, stopping 25 of 26 shots. Ruccia stopped 40 of 43 in the loss in addition to the empty netter.
The Eagles will now head home to take on the Saint John Sea Dogs on Thursday night! Tickets can be purchased at https://bit.ly/3Gu1iz4. They are also available for purchase in person at the Centre 200 box office and by the phone during box office hours at 902-564-2200
THREE STARS OF THE GAME
1. Andrei Loshko (Chicoutimi) 1 goal, 1 assist
2. Etienne Tremblay-Mathieu (Chicoutimi) 4 shots
3. Nicolas Ruccia (Cape Breton) 40 saves on 43 shots
Scratches For Cape Breton: Luke Patterson (upper body injury), Trevor Thurston (upper body injury), FJ Buteau (upper body injury), Alex Campbell, Gio DiMattia
Scratches For Chicoutimi: Antoine Desrochers, Mareck Jean, Eliott Robert, Zachary Roy (injury), Matteo Mann (injury)
Final Shots On Goal: 43-26
Cape Breton Power Play: 0/1
Chicoutimi Power Play: 1/2